Department at a Glance
Introduction of Applied Science
Department of Applied Science thrives to accomplish its goal to develop world class engineers by laying a strong foundation. With a frontage of multidisciplinary teaching of fundamental courses in Science & Engineering such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Communication skills, the department has also fortified its curriculum by including activities related to Critical thinking, Creative thinking which prove to be essential for developing innovative and creative mind and over all personality.The Department comprises its four major aspects of teaching.
4- Communication Skills
The department is a team of 27 faculty members with high experience and professional competence and are research orientated. The teaching faculty of the department have received Research grants/Fellowships from reputed National organizations such as national and international funding agencies. Applied Science department fosters the academically facilitative environment by inviting distinguished scientists, academicians and scholars to deliver speech and interact with the students. The department has well equipped labs and effectively uses IT and digital technology as part of its teaching learning pedagogy.
To motivate and Mould Students into World Class Professionals Who will Excel in their Fields and Effectively Meet Challenges of the Dynamic Global Scenario.
- To achieve academic excellence in providing technical education by incorporating the principles of Total Quality Management (TQM).
- To provide state-of-art infrastructure for enhanced learning & research with IT based knowledge management to meet global challenges..
- To inculcate ethical, moral, & cultural values among professionals.
The Department is highly focused on imparting quality education to meet the global challenges of science and technology. The understandings of basics or the fundamentals during the first year engineering help the students to confidently apply them in their engineering field and give them better insight to explore their area of specialization.
To enhance the knowledge of Applied Sciences and Humanities which are fundamentally correlated to various branches of engineering and technology.
To teach moral and sense of social responsibility to the upcoming engineers of the society
To motivate students to apply new ideas of research in fundamental science and technology and think in a new way .
Soft Skills Development of the Student
Various activities, sessions and workshops are conducted year round at SIRT for developing personality of students. Also our department has a well-set up language lab which develops LSWR skills in students as well as focuses on vocabulary development and grammar is.
Experiential learning is basically the learning- by- doing.It is used as a meaningful practice of study.There are four models of experiential learning.
*Concrete Experience*- This is the action phase.Students are encouraged to try out the action and have a new experience.
*Reflective Observation*- This is the observation phase.Students are encouraged to intentionally reflect on their experience from multiple perspectives.
*Abstract Conceptualization*-This is the integration phase.Students are encouraged to integrate the experience (action and result) into existing knowledge schemes and with existing theory.Hence the new concept is formed and can be applied for future experience.
*Active Experimentation*-This is the hypothesizing and trial phase.Students are encouraged to hypothesize what will happen and try the action out by making decisions and solving problems.
We have initiated the experiential learning for the betterment and growth of knowledge for the students.
Hence different subjects video lectures have been prepared so that students can fulfill their quest of knowledge.
There are some links of such videos which can help the students in their studies-
1) Faculty of commmunication skills taking session on Phonetics through experiential learning. Phonetics allows teachers and students to examine the differences between the source of sounds and the target language that is being learned. The study of phonetics enables students to better understand and speak at a level close to fluent.
2) Students of SIRT were interested in how flash and fire point works. Faculty of Chemistry Dr.Preeti Sharma focusing on giving experiential learning to students to help them in constructing knowledge. Students got an opportunity to actually observe and experience difference between Flash and fire point.
3) Lack of confidence, depression, technical jargon, poor perception and overloaded information are somecommunication barriers of engineering students. Moreover, the reasons of these communication barriers arelack of vocabulary, low confidence, hesitation, shyness, poor language, stage fear. Thus by putting emphasis on making students experience the barriers in communication Dr.Anukriti Sharma, Faculty of communication explained about impacts of barriers in communication.