- Ministry of Education (MoE), Govt. of India has established ‘MoE’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ to systematically foster the culture of Innovation among all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs).
- The primary mandate of MIC is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by supporting them to work with new ideas and transform them into prototypes while they are informative years.MIC has envisioned encouraging creation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IICs) across selected HEIs.
- A network of IIC is established to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the Institution through multitudinous modes leading to an innovation promotion ecosystem in the campuses. MIC has established Institution's Innovation Council in more than 2700 Institutions from all over the India.
- To create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem.
- Start-up supporting mechanism in HEIs.
- Prepare institute for Atal Ranking of institutions on innovation achievements framework.
- Establish function ecosystem for scouting ideas and pre-incubation of ideas.
- Develop better cognitive ability among students.
Functions of IIC
- To conduct various Innovation, IPR and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by MIC in time bound fashion.
- Identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
- Organize periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by institution’s faculty and students.
- Organize Hackathons, idea competition, mini-challenges etc. with the involvement of industries.